Dental cleanings & exams in Payson, UT
In today’s busy world, routine dental visits are often the first thing to be delayed, especially if you are not having any symptoms of dental issues. Still, it is important to know that routine dental cleanings and exams are important for your oral health and overall wellness. The American Dental Association recommends that to maintain optimal oral health patients should maintain regular visits with a dentist at intervals that are determined by their specific health needs. At Gunnerson Dental in Payson, UT, we recommend visits every six months for otherwise healthy patients. High-risk patients may often benefit from more frequent visits. We work with each patient on an individual basis to determine the appropriate frequency of visits.
Dental exams are essential in the early detection of oral health issues. When problems are discovered early, they are often less costly and easier to treat. During the exams, we are also able to monitor the healing of any previously treated conditions and discuss any concerns that you may have. Here is what you can expect during a comprehensive dental exam at Gunnerson Dental:
- A visual examination of all the oral structures including existing restorations to ensure that everything looks healthy and there are no early signs of decay or disease.
- Digital x-rays to see parts of the mouth that are not visible to the eye.
- Oral cancer screenings involve carefully inspecting all areas of the mouth, sides of your face, around your ears, jaw, and lymph nodes.
- Dental sealants on the molars for younger patients.
Good oral health begins at home with a diligent oral hygiene routine that includes brushing twice each day and flossing. However, even individuals with the best oral care habits end up with some plaque or tartar build-up. Professional cleanings are a vital part of preventing decay and disease. Here is what you can expect during a dental cleaning:
- The dental hygienist will use special tools to remove any plaque or tartar build-up from your teeth.
- After scaling, the teeth are then polished with a flavored, gritty toothpaste that is more coarse than regular toothpaste, which makes it effective at smoothing out the rough surfaces of teeth where bacteria thrive.
- Finally, the teeth are polished to remove any debris trapped between teeth.
To schedule your dental exam and cleaning at Gunnerson Dental, please call us at (801) 658-0175. We proudly serve the communities of Payson, Elk Ridge, Mapleton, Woodland Hills, Springville, Salem and Spanish Fork.